Monday 27 May 2019

Cooking: detox diaries, week 3

This detox has been an incredible journey that has really put many of my long held beliefs on the test:  would I ever survive without cheese?  Yes.  And what about meat and fish? could I fill up on veggies and legumes?  Oh yes! 

Would I require a tiny bit of dessert after a good meal?  Sure, but more like an apple with (home-made) peanut butter...

Week 3 was even more fun than the ones before:  I was enjoying the new variety of meals around me; I was delighted to discover all the new vegan, gluten- and lactose-free offers in the supermarkets (which I had never paid attention to before) and I was amazed by the various youtubers and bloggers (are these the proper words to use?) that provided me with extra recipes to try. 

There are plenty for sure, but I found that some had recipes more to my taste:  first, there is Ela vegan's blog that makes everything cooked look easy, healthy and mouth-watering. The easy vegan had me gasp with excitement at recipes like fish and chips or the vegan pepperoni (seriously!).  And then there's The mushroom den, with her easy-going cooking style and amazing vegan cheese preparations, who assured me that my love for cheese need could go on in the vegan world (interesting fact:  she, like myself, is not vegan, but really appreciates plant-based cooking). 

Savoury cream cheese (based on The mushroom den's vegan cheeses)

120g cashew nuts, soaked
1 tbsp water
4 tsp lemon juice
4 tsp white vinegar
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 cloves of garlic, minced

1 tbsp each of dried thyme/basil/persil/onion
salt/pepper

Blend all ingredients except for the herbs until they become a beautiful cream.  Add herbs and salt/pepper and chill until ready to use.  Yes, it is this simple!




Quesadillas (based on Elavegan's vegan spinach tortillas)

2 small gluten-free tortillas
1/2 large aubergine, in cubes
1/2 shallot, thinly sliced
1 close of garlic, minced
rocket, a bunch

1 batch of vegan cheese sauce

A very easy, quick lunch idea.  I used ready-made gf tortillas but they are indeed very easy to make from scratch.  For the filling, sautee the onion and garlic mix in 1 tsp olive oil over medium heat, for about 2 minutes.  Add the aubergine and continue for another 3 minutes, taking care nothing sticks.  Add rocket at the very end, just enough that it wilts.  At the same time, make the cheese sauce.  I like the tortillas warm, so I did so in a dry skillet.  I then "dumped" all ingredients on the tortillas and as messy as it can become, it makes up in taste!



No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...