Monday 31 December 2012

2012 End of Year Book survey

So, this is it... last day of 2012 and a review of all that has happened to my first year as a blogger - to my aid, this cute little survey from Jamie:

1. Best Book You Read In 2012?

This was my first year as a blogger but also as a serious reader.  I've discovered so many new areas of interest, that I can safely say that most of the books read provided something to make them best in their own right.  If I were to choose, however, I would pick The Memory Chalet by T. Judt, which shook me out of every comfort zone I knew...
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
1Q84 by H. Murakami - a very good lesson not to read a book based on how famous an author is.  Totally not what I had mistakenly expected, will however try one more of his books before passing judgement.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012? 

I've been really surprised at how many classic authors have foreseen situations we currently live:  In the Year 2889 by J. Verne and 1984 by G. Orwell are two such examples that had me thinking a long time after reading their books.

4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?

As an avid reader and supporter of the use of language, I would suggest 1984 by G. Orwell - my worst fears were depicted in this book, once people stop thinking and oversimplify language...
 5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
The only series I read in 2012 was of Agatha Raisin, a modern-day Miss Marple, ready to discover the murderer - pretty, pick-me-up writing for any difficult day ...

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?

Quite a few - classic as well as modern!
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
For the first time, I read fantasy, starting with the Night Circus by E. Morgenstern.  I'll admit it's still early days and I'm still not convinced, but in 2013 I'll read some more of this genre... 
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
Again, I'll say it was 1984 (even though it was really a re-read) and The Lady in Gold by A.M. O'Conner (for all the wrong reasons...)

9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:

I have so many books on my TBR list, I will try to refrain from re-reading that soon - although I almost always read a Bronte book...

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?

The various covers of The Great Gatsby - what an era...
11. Most memorable character in 2012? 
Evangeline in The Home Maker by D. Canfield - I can sympathise with her!

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?

84, Charing Cross Road, by H. Hanff - what a great book!
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012? 
Again, 1984 fits the bill...

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read? 
Mrs. Dalloway by V. Woolf - rather apprehensive at first, I really enjoyed it!

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012? 

From In the Garden of Beasts by E. Larson:

"... warn men as solemnly as possible against half-educated leaders being permitted to lead nations into war"

 
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012? 

Long (sometimes I admit too long):  A tale of two cities, by Ch. Dickens
Short (but oh simply great!!!):  The Star by A. C. Clark
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.)  
In the year 2889 by J. Verne - what an amazing list of what we already have in our possession now - envisaged in 1889!!!

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc)
Dr. Irene Pepperberg and her parrot Alex, as depicted in Alex and Me
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously
Lady Susan by Jane Austen - finally, an Austen I really liked ...

20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
The Home Maker by D. Canfield, which I first read from Claire .


That's it for 2012 - on to a better 2013!!!


 

10 comments:

  1. Love this post. Wishing you a fantastic blog filled 2013 !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really must get a hold of Alex and Me. Big C's bird is an African Grey, and he (George, the Grey) hates me - they seem to be 'one owner pets'. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really an interesting book - wish I had it in paper format for you! But apart from obvious preferences, I don't see why George shouldn't like you....

      Delete
  3. That Jules Verne sounds amazing! And I need to heed all the recommendations and pick up 84, Charing Cross Road. It's on my wish list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I fully recommend it!

      Delete
  4. II really, really finally need to read 1984! Sorry you didn't like the Murakami, I love him, though I admit he's really strange! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do read 1984 - it's so much a depiction of the current situation in language, Big Brother and media control. Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  5. Oh the first year blogging and a whole new world opening up to you. I like your survey, lots of variety. Loved your choice of favorite relationship ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all new experience - hope to continue in the second year as well!

      Delete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...