Friday 18 January 2013

The Classics Club: my favourite Classic read (so far...)


For January, the Classics Club's question came at a time when I was making a review of my first year as a blogger:  the challenges I had participated in, the readalongs I had followed and anniversaries of great personalities that I celebrated with a book.  Whatever the occasion, there was always a reason to read.  And I did fairly well - 80 books read in 2012!!!  And yes, the majority was for the Classics Club - to such an extent that I'm already half-way my 5-year plan (Hint:  I'll just add more classics to the list...).  

Though I enjoy every single book I read (otherwise, I toss it away), I am particularly keen on my Classics.  So, rather than reply what THE favourite Classic read to-date is,  I'll try to see which Classics have left a stamp on me and which I would recommend everyone reads at some point in their lives:

The Home Maker

A Book before its time - that's what a Classic is!  Family roles are reversed, everyone is happy except for society!  Delightful reading that leaves a bittersweet aftertaste ...









Nineteen Eighty Four / The Quiet American

Another two Classics before their time:  only now, they actually foresee situations in the future:  Reality TV Big Brother and the oversimplification of language, all told in a gruesome manner and the War in Vietnam described in minute detail over 10 years earlier...








To Kill a Mockingbird

Racial relations, and the importance of respect told through the eyes of a child - lessons that have yet to be learned, I'm afraid...










(The Classics Club also turns the question around to see whether there is a least favourite read.  Here, I'm afraid I have to include The Unbearable Lightness of Being.  What I remembered as a Classic, on re-reading turned out to be just "meh" - off the Classics list it went!)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous18/1/13

    I loved 1984 and agree that it was incredibly ahead of its time. I'm also excited to re-read To Kill a Mockingbird this year. I'm a little worried you've put The Unbearable Lightness of Being off your list! That's on my list and I'm looking forward to it because I've a good friend of Czech decent and I've learned a lot about their culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (oh, I'm sorry!!!) I think the book was a revelation when it was published but it doesn't make me feel anything now that I am older and my life has nothing in common with my 30-year-younger self. But please read it - I'm looking forward to reading your review!

      Delete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...